The PP aims as bringing ECCSEL to the level of legal and financial maturity required for implementation.
The ECCSEL PP will be split into two phases, each phase lasting for approximately 2 years.
ECCSEL PP phase I started on 1 January 2011.
The specific objectives of phase I include:
- Identification of suitable legal and governance structure, including rules for IPR, access to and use of the facilities, and HSE standards.
- Development of a financial strategy, including analysis of cost scenarios and available funding mechanisms.
- Review of priority research needs (as identified by ZEP-TP, IPCC and others), mapping and subsequent gap analysis to create the Infrastructure development plan.
- Web site development and dissemination.
- Strategy for expansion of the consortium and collaboration with Third countries - such as USA, China, Australia, etc.
- Strategic interaction and coordination with European bodies such as European Energy Research Alliance (EERA), the ZEP-TP, Lighthouse projects, EII etc.
The formal output of phase I will be the Implementation strategy report which will draw conclusions and suggest strategies for implementation of the ECCSEL RI.
Preparatory Phase work distribution
The project is organized in six work packages (WPs). The overall strategy is schematically presented in the figure at the end.
Legal and governance structure
Legal and governance structure (WP1) shall define the legal framework that will regulate the operation and management of ECCSEL. This will include an analysis of different options of suitable legal forms and to define a governance structure for ECCSEL. It will also set up IPR rules and an access policy.
Contact: Gaële Valet, IFP
The Financial strategy (WP2) will identify funding mechanisms for new investments and operational and transnational access costs. It will recommend procedures and mechanisms for the flow of funding through the ECCSEL organization and provide cost scenarios.
Contact: Emile Elewaut, TNO
Infrastructure development plan
The Infrastructure development plan (WP3) will draft a long term plan that will comprise all RI upgrades and new facilities required to meet the needs of the European CCS community. It will be based on a detailed identification of future infrastructure needs, a comprehensive mapping of existing infrastructure and planned developments, and from a subsequent gap analysis.
Contact: Andreas Ehinger, IFP
Dissemination – Outreach
Dissemination - Outreach (WP4) aims to
- Process and communicate ECCSEL's vision and long term plans
- Develop, maintain and update information on the ECCSEL website
- Ensure good visibility and dissemination of ECCSEL
- Expand the consortium geographically
Contact: Morten Grønli, NTNU
WP5 aims to provide a coherent strategy for implementation of the ECCSEL RI through integrating the results and contributions of the other Work Packages.
The end product of the WP - the Implementation strategy report - will provide a summary of the work performed in phase I of the PP, and draw conclusions and suggest strategies for implementation of ECCSEL. It will suggest any necessary subsequent steps for realization of the RI, and provide concrete actions for phase II of the PP.
Contact: Rune Bredesen, SINTEF
Project management and coordination
WP6 will ensure an effective, smooth and high-quality performance of the ECCSEL Preparatory Phase project. The Coordinator will be given authority by the General Assembly to manage the legal, financial and administrative aspects of the project, both towards the General Assembly and the Commission. Project reports will be produced in close cooperation with the WP-leaders, but resources for this work will be assigned to the various work packages.
Contact: Morten Grønli and Liv Randi Hultgreen, NTNU
Overall strategy of the work plan